Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I have to read every label

I made a lovely salad last night. Fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumber, cheddar cheese, green onions, and baked "fried" chicken soaked in buttermilk and then dipped in an oatmeal flour and herb coating. I used Marzetti's Simply Dressed Ranch Dressing, which has simple and real (and non-allergic) ingredients. Love it.

But then I got the rash. And I got it again today when I ate the leftovers.

The apparent culprit? Kraft shredded cheddar, which is apparently coated in potato starch to keep it from sticking together in the bag. I hadn't thought to read the label, because who thinks there's potato in a simple ingredient like shredded cheese?

Lesson learned. My kitchenaid food processor and shredding blade will be getting a workout going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment