Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dr. Beverly Hills: The third time's NOT a charm

My appointment with the alternate allergist I'd found got cancelled at the last minute last Friday, so I decided to keep my appointment with Dr. Beverly Hills today. I could not wait to hear his "big plan for me" - the suspense killed!

Honestly I shouldn't have bothered.

Highlights:
  • Another 30-40 minute wait in the lobby

  • 15 minutes with the Dr.--interrupted twice for him to go do other stuff

  • He tells me his diet plan--it's basically slightly less restrictive than what I'm already doing

  • And yet--the 19 days of my diet I've already done don't count because I didn't fill out his fancy diet form--which is basically a grid where you fill in the date and a score from 0-10 of how your symptoms are that day. Note that he just handed me this within a stack of other papers--did not explain it in any way.

  • Other paper #1: A list of things that contain wheat such as "wheat flour, wheat grass, couscous, and seminola [sic]" which I can only assume is a mistyped "semolina". Groundbreaking.

  • Other paper #2: A referral to a local allergy-friendly bakery (yay!). I am so excited about this that I look them up during one of the times he leaves the room. Turns out they bake with rice flour. Which I'm allergic to. Which we had discussed two seconds before. How helpful.

  • I was not able to get many questions in before he booked it out of there, but I did get a chance to ask about soy lecithin and soy oil--both of which reputable sites and books I'd read say have a very small chance of causing allergic reaction because they only contain traces of protein. Soy oil is the only thing holding me back from all the Chipotle Bols I can eat, and soy lecithin is in most chocolate, so you can see how this is of the utmost importance.

    Dr. Beverly Hills tells me I still have to avoid those. But then in practically the next breath he says he has no problem with me eating egg yolks after I separate them from the white part I'm allergic to. Now I probably just looked like a very good egg separator to him (which I am), but even with my mad skills, I'm pretty sure those yolks still contain at least traces of egg white.


Needless to say, Dr. BeverlyHills and I are not meant to be. The only question now is whether to pick up with another allergist now, or just to go it alone for a bit and work the plan of elimination followed by challenges. Oh, and whether to write about my experience on Yelp, knowing they'd be able to connect it to me if they saw it.

On the bright side, I finally found the right streets to use to get to the westside in the morning!

3 comments:

  1. We should totally try Chipotle this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stay on Franklin to La Brea, then cut down to Santa Monica. Simple, but effective. At least yesterday.

    ReplyDelete