Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dr. Beverly Hills, Part Deux

Another day, another scanned report of stuff I'm allergic to (this time in pink!)

Turns out I'm allergic to all grasses, most weeds and trees and molds, and most things in my environment :) Reactions I found particularly entertaining--palm trees (hello LA), flaxseed (goodbye, my planned egg replacer), and tumbleweeds (is there any climate I'm not allergic to?)

(actually, the quote of the day from Dr. BH was "well, you could always move to Alaska and be Sarah Palin's neighbor")

Generic dog and car hair were both mild 2A reactions, and I did not react to my dog Toby's hair at all in the scratch test. But then Dr. BH's nurse injected some of that fur intradermally (which burns like hell for 10 seconds, btw), and I did react to that.

I don't understand what reacting to one test but not the other means--largely because Dr. BH didn't bother to make the time today to sit down with me and go over everything (despite the fact that when we scheduled today's appointment, that was part of the planned activities). So I left with another heavily-highlighted sheet and a list I'd prepared of questions (still unanswered). And a vague command not to start the diet yet because he wants to discuss it with me (this after I told him I had already started nearly 2 weeks ago).

Not impressed. Between driving (45 mins to an hour each way) and cooling my heels in his waiting room (45 mins to an hour each time), these appointments eat up huge chunks of my day--even before I actually interact with someone. I feel disrespected.

The bill also came through for my first appointment today. $295 billed to insurance for "consultation" and another $495 for lab tests. (Only $40 out of pocket for me--thanks Cigna)

If I see today's bill and it's got that $295 charge on it, I will LOSE. MY. MIND.

My photocopied tests and I will be visiting another allergist whose office is a bit closer for a second (but actually first) opinion this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment