Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter isn't the same without Cadbury Creme Eggs

And of course, they are teeming with stuff I can't have - especially soy and egg.

But luckily I found this instructable, which walked me through the incredibly easy process of making my own, DIY creme eggs.

It's actually a tremendously simple recipe.

Step 1 is to order yourself an egg-shaped mold. The instructable walks through a process that wouldn't require the mold, but the mold makes things much simpler. I got mine on Amazon (of course).

The ingredients are very simple - chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Allergen Free chips), light corn syrup, powdered sugar, butter, yellow food coloring, and vanilla (I used artificial, since Vanilla is on my allergen list--but if you can eat real vanilla, please do it for those of us who can't!).

Basically all you do is melt the chocolate chips and coat the molds with them. Then cream together everything but the food coloring to make the fondant filling. If you want to have fun with it, dye 1/3 of the fondant yellow to make the yolk.

I put the white and the yellow fondant in separate piping bags, and then piped it into the center of the chocolate-filled molds until they were full. Then into the freezer they went to set!

DSC_3491.NEF

The next day you can press the halves together. Or, if you're like me and half a creme egg is the perfect serving, leave them as separate little chocolate fried eggs. I won't tell.

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your allergies. =(

    I love cream eggs, but I just may try this recipe!

    Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete