Friday, April 1, 2011

The first day of the rest of my life

Having taken a few days to process this new food-allergic self, I've decided to go for broke and quit all these foods for 30 days. I figure the worst that can happen is I have to get creative in the kitchen and at restaurants, and there's a real chance I could lose this nagging rash (and maybe, hopefully a few pounds too?) 30 days is a drop in the bucket of the rest of my life so why not. Plus it will be a challenge.

I admit I have my doubts, but I've been making a list of foods I can eat, and it's promising. I have no dairy allergies. I can eat pretty much any meat I want (aside from shrimp, tuna, and crab). Veggies are almost all ok, as are many nuts and some fruits. Sour patch kids are shockingly acceptable.

Today I had Greek yogurt for breakfast, a greek chicken salad with feta, olives, and a lemon vinaigrette for lunch, some hummus and veggies as a snack, and a braised short rib over polenta for dessert. I can't guarantee there was no wheat in the sauce of the short rib, because I am still too shy to ask these kinds of questions of my server--I know I'm going to have to get better at that for this to work. But I figure this is a good effort for day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment