Saturday, May 21, 2011

On "just staying home"

One of my biggest fears with this diagnosis was that it would further cut me off from an already small social circle here in LA. If I couldn't eat "normal foods" how could I go to parties, or eat out in restaurants, or even cook things for friends who are used to flour and eggs and all that delicious stuff.

I've actually found that my fears were overblown in many ways. Both friends and restaurants have been very accommodating, and with a little planning I can almost always find or bring something to eat. Restaurants, especially, have blown me away with their attention and willingness to work with me. It helps that I'm polite and clear and willing to eat pretty much anything as long as I'm not allergic to it!

So I was sad to see a tweet this morning from a restaurant owner in Copenhagen (retweeted by an LA Times food blogger):

ReneRedzepiNoma
: Dear people, if you are allergic to everything from the sea and would like to keep wheat, butter, offal and salt?? of the menu. Stay home!!

I got into it a little with him, and he backpedaled a bit. Apparently when he said "stay home" what he meant was "call us first so we have warning" - he's still learning twitter. He could have helped his case tremendously by not referring to "allergies" in quotes a tweet or two later as though he doesn't believe someone can actually be allergic to a bunch of normal stuff. Newsflash buddy--click the food allergens link at the right to see that this is indeed possible.

The good news is, at least in my world, restauranteurs like Rene don't have to suffer us annoying allergic people. And lucky for us we don't have to suffer them either. On to other restaurants!

No comments:

Post a Comment