Monday, March 28, 2011

My allergy background

I've always been an allergic person. Each turn of the seasons has always brought a nasal onslaught, and sometimes also skin rashes. I've always suspected I may be allergic to animals as well (but never really wanted the answer to that one!).

As a kid, dried fruit and recently lit matches would make my throat feel itchy and tight, so I've avoided those triggers since childhood. I've also had odd hive reactions to shrimp, as well as medicines like Advil and Aleve, on a few isolated occasions. That was my only inkling of any allergies other than the "normal" seasonal and maybe pet ones.

My husband and I recently moved back to California (land of eternal spring allergies), and I had developed a pretty constant skin rash, plus had another shrimp reaction, so I felt like it was time to see an expert. I booked an appointment with a well-reviewed allergist in Beverly Hills hoping to confirm my seasonal allergies and maybe get a prescription to help with the rash, and to make sure the shrimp reactions weren't an indication that I should be carrying an EpiPen.

I got a lot more than I bargained for... Stay tuned to share my journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment